Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 2 - 11 of about 14,006 matching the query, best matches first.
Donors owe Workers comp fund Coal operators heavily funded
- comp debts. Blue Swan Energy Inc. went into default on Aug. 1, owing more than $37,000. James C. Justice II, Cathy L. Justice and Byrd White III, officers of Bluestone Coal Corp., gave Underwood's campaign $3,000. James O. Bunn and...
Published: Wednesday, December 31, 1997
CAMPAIGN RUNS ON ITS WAR CHEST
- of Bluestone Coal Co., each gave $1,000 to Underwood. Contractors who worked for Bluestone owe Workers' Comp $3.1 million. William Sturgill of Lexington, Ky., gave $1,000 to Manchin and $1,000 to Underwood. Sturgill is one of central...
Published: Sunday, November 03, 1996
GROUPS CHALLENGE WORKERS' COMP
- Raney said he wants to block any further suits from being filed. But he said he has not held "any official conversations with anyone in the Underwood administration" about the matter. Coal companies were major donors to Underwood's...
Published: Friday, January 31, 1997
2 MORE FIRMS OWE BIG UNPAID PREMIUMS TO WORKERS'
- premiums and interest. Since mid-December, lawyers have filed suits against National Mines Corp., a subsidiary of National Steel Corp.; Bluestone Coal Corp., owned by James C. Justice II of Beckley; and three Mingo County coal companies...
Published: Sunday, February 02, 1997
6 CONTRACTORS OWE $2.6 MILLION COAL BARON HARLESS WON'T PAY
- first three suits were filed against National Mines Corp., a subsidiary of National Steel Corp. and six of its contractors; Bluestone Coal Corp., owned by James C. Justice II of Beckley, and 22 of its contractors; and Island Creek Coal...
Published: Sunday, June 01, 1997
Dem: Comp pledge broken With dismissal of coal suits,
- the company, gave $2,600 to Underwood in 1996 and another $5,000 to his inaugural in 1997. James Bunn has given $1,000 to Underwood's 2000 campaign s Bluestone Coal Corp., $10.2 million. James C. Justice II, Cathy Justice and Bluestone...
Published: Monday, June 21, 1999
UNDERWOOD BACKS DELINQUENT WORKERS' COMP PREMIUMS SUIT
- County seeking to stop those lawsuits. John Brown, spokesman for Underwood, said Wednesday, "On the coal association suit on Workers' Comp, our position is that we support the Employment Security/Workers' Comp position. "It's a legal...
Published: Thursday, February 13, 1997
COAL CONTRACTORS HAD LONG LIST OF SAFETY VIOLATIONS
- the Morgantown Industrial Park Associates Limited Partnership, which Underwood set up in December 1983 to spur new businesses. Both Cline and Justice donated to Underwood's campaign committee last year. The suits filed against Bluestone...
Published: Monday, January 13, 1997
WORKERS' COMP GROUP SUES COAL COMPANY
- Park Associates, a limited partnership set up in 1983 by Underwood to help foster new businesses. James C. Justice II and Stephanie Justice invested $100,000 in the project, according to records at the Monongalia County Courthouse in...
Published: Thursday, December 19, 1996
The state Workers' Compensation fund faces $2.2 billion in
- Association president, chaired his "transition team." In February, Gov. Cecil Underwood named William Vieweg as Employment Programs commissioner. Vieweg was an executive and lawyer for Island Creek Coal Co. between 1976 and 1986, then...
Published: Sunday, December 21, 1997