Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 29 - 38 of about 950 matching the query, best matches first.
PRESTON MINE HAS HISTORY OF ROOF FALLS RANDOLPH MAN KILLED FRIDAY WHILE OPERATING CONTINUOUS MINING MACHINE
- Bush administration in 2001 to see if those proposals should now be implemented to enhance mine safety." To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Tuesday, October 24, 2006
SAGO HEARING OFFERS FEW ANSWERS
- mine operators need to pay attention to mine safety, and not corporate profits." Staff writer Ken Ward Jr.'s continued reporting on the Sago Mine disaster and mine safety is being supported by a fellowship from the Alicia Patterson...
Published: Sunday, May 07, 2006
SAGO PROBE FULL OF MYSTERY INVESTIGATORS FIND INCONSISTENCIES WHILE STUDYING SITE
- against the roof. McAteer said that investigators expected the plates to be bent in the same direction by the force of the blast. But at Sago, they found something quite different: Plates were bent in various directions, some with all...
Published: Friday, February 03, 2006
U.S. JURY INDICTS EX-SAGO MINE FOREMAN VIOLATIONS ALLEGEDLY OCCURRED MORE THAN YEAR BEFORE DISASTER
- of a 1999 roof fall that killed miner Jack White. Staff writer Dave Gustafson contributed to this report. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006
DISASTER INTENSIFIES DEMANDS FOR REFORM
- other coal mining state to solve on its own," Miller said. "This is a crisis that America must deal with, and now." Staff writer Ken Ward Jr.'s continuing coverage of mine safety issues is being supported by a fellowship from the Alicia...
Published: Sunday, May 21, 2006
SAGO UPGRADES TOO SLOW, MSHA SAYS FEDS ANNOUNCE BLAST INVESTIGATION TEAM
- their workers, the governor said. Staff writers Eric Eyre and Dave Gustafson contributed to this report. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Friday, January 06, 2006
BEYOND SAGO COAL MINE SAFETY IN AMERICA 'THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DIE' STRIP MINES PRESENT UNIQUE DANGERS TO WORKERS
- issue. The Sunday Gazette-Mail wanted to take a broader look, to examine the daily dangers faced by the nation's coal miners. Reporter Ken Ward Jr. had recently received a six-month fellowship from the Alicia Patterson Foundation, and...
Published: Sunday, December 03, 2006
MINE 'WELL-OPERATED,' OFFICIAL SAYS
- behind the seals," Wooten said. "Do you evacuate the mine to wait for a roof fall? You would never know." To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Friday, December 22, 2006
W.VA. ICG CHIEF LED FIRM THAT SUFFERED 2 DEATHS IN 5 WEEKS
- intended to help "miners and mine operators focus on human factors, such as decision-making, when at work." To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2006
ICG SAFETY IN W.VA. POOR FOREMAN OF ANKER OPERATION WAS JAILED FOR LYING TO MSHA
- run by the owners of the Sago Mine include a Harrison County mine whose foreman went to jail for lying to investigators about a 1999 roof fall that killed a miner, records show. Anker West Virginia Mining Co., an ICG subsidiary, has...
Published: Saturday, January 14, 2006