Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 4 - 13 of about 950 matching the query, best matches first.
MSHA SEAL RULES TOO WEAK FOR SAGO
- are focusing on a foam block wall that was used to seal off an area of the mine where International Coal Group struggled with repeated roof falls and water leaks. Federal law requires coal companies that abandon areas to take steps...
Published: Tuesday, May 02, 2006
SAGO SURVIVOR OUT OF ICU, STILL UNCONSCIOUS MSHA SILENT ON LIST OF INTERVIEWEES; UMW WILL REPRESENT MINERS IN INQUIRY
- every miner in America and Canada whether he or she chooses to pay dues to this union or not,” Roberts said. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2006
INDUSTRY OBJECTS TO MINING PROPOSALS RULES ON LOCATION OF BREATHING DEVICE CACHES, TRAINING WALKS AT ISSUE
- workers are killed because of corporate negligence. “I hope that we can achieve that someday in this country,” Wright said. Staff writer Ken Ward Jr.’s continued coverage of mine safety is being supported by a fellowship from the Alicia...
Published: Wednesday, May 10, 2006
13 MINERS TRAPPED RESCUE EFFORT UNDERWAY AFTER UPSHUR MINE BLAST
- Kitts defended the mine's safety history, saying it was no different than others. "This mine has some history of roof conditions, roof falls and such," Kitt said. "But it's not unlike most other mines." Mine safety officials and experts...
Published: Tuesday, January 03, 2006
SAGO LIGHTNING THEORY DISCOUNTED
- in the sealed area of two new roof falls and one continuation of an older roof fall. Dunbar said that ICG believes that blast and dust patterns indicate that the ignition did not occur in the area of those falls. Pam Campbell, the sister-in-law...
Published: Thursday, May 04, 2006
SAGO REPORT URGES GIVING SAFETY WORKERS MINE POWER
- the Web site of Wheeling Jesuit University, where McAteer is a vice president. See www.wju.edu/Admissions/rd/?SAGO-. Staff writer Ken Ward Jr.'s continuing coverage of the Sago Mine disaster is being supported by a fellowship from the...
Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2006
STATE BLAMES LIGHTNING FOR SAGO BY PROCESS OF ELIMINATION
- have been lightning that ignited the Jan. 2 explosion that killed 12 workers at the Sago Mine. As much as anything else, the main conclusion in a new report from the state Office of Miners' Health, Safety and Training boils down to...
Published: Saturday, December 16, 2006
GAS WELLS NEAR MINE SAGO MAP SHOWS ONE WELL NEXT TO POSSIBLE BLAST SITE
- meeting Thursday morning. One theory is that a lightning strike could have ignited that gas. Other potential ignition sources include roof falls or abandoned equipment in the mined-out area. In any of these cases, there are steps that...
Published: Friday, January 13, 2006
SAGO PROBE STARTS; UMW TAKES PART
- such pipes to transmit a spark if they were hit by lightning "will have to be looked at carefully," Farley said. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Friday, January 27, 2006
NY BILLIONAIRE CONTROLLED SAGO MINE SINCE 2001
- for similar mines, according to U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration records. Also, the Sago Mine experienced a series of a dozen roof falls and was cited for more than 200 safety violations in 2004 and 2005, according to the...
Published: Tuesday, January 10, 2006