Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 2 - 11 of about 7,522 matching the query, best matches first.
CURA TO QUIT USING BB&T ACTION IS PROTEST AGAINST BANK'S STAND ON EMINENT DOMAIN
- on land taken from private citizens by eminent domain. In response, Brown wrote Allison a letter saying CURA has helped Charleston eliminate slums and blight and build projects like Charleston Town Center and several housing projects...
Published: Thursday, April 13, 2006
Blight? Improve East End
- sector are attractive and well-kept. Relatively few have deteriorated to "blight" level. Black residents mostly weren't consulted about this traumatic plan, until they protested, and CURA director Pat Brown hastily named a few to a...
Published: Saturday, June 22, 2002
CURA to hear East End plan Owner-occupied houses
- were three main concerns: People were upset by the words "slum and blight," a necessary technical designation needed to declare an area an urban renewal district; people worried that CURA would take their homes by eminent domain; and...
Published: Wednesday, October 05, 2005
CURA to assess cost of grocery Appraiser may be picked
- to determine if the area met the slum and blight conditions," Brown said. "That had to be done before an urban renewal plan for the area was developed." Because of the controversy surrounding the proposed grocery store, CURA board members...
Published: Wednesday, April 12, 2000
City to look at urban renewal in East End
- of state code to usurp another, the resolution introduced last month makes it unnecessary for areas to qualify as "slum" or "blight" in order to qualify for the intervention of the Charleston Urban Renewal Authority. The new tack attempts...
Published: Thursday, December 19, 2002
SNUBBED SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- back against drug dealers and attract young families and business. It is remarkable that CURA, whose mission is to oversee economic redevelopment and counter urban blight, is not more sensitive to the concerns of these East End stakeholders....
Published: Friday, August 21, 2009
Loan to draw retailer Money would be used to expand,
- Wednesday in a closed session. Under the plan, the city of Charleston would apply for the $7.5 million loan through a special program of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development called Section 108. The loan program must...
Published: Thursday, October 17, 2002
This is not your father's urban renewal CURA plans to
- sounds negative, but it does not reflect badly on the neighborhood's residents. "A lot of the problems, like traffic and noise, were not created by the community," she said. The report calls for a new grocery and new retail businesses...
Published: Thursday, May 16, 2002
Council to consider urban renewal plan
- strict "slum and blight" designations by substituting one section of state code for another. Crickenberger said the committee and the full council must pass the boundary establishments. Then a committee of volunteers, under the auspices...
Published: Thursday, January 16, 2003
Some East End residents still wary of urban renewal
- reality. "We have two choices here," she said. "Develop some kind of a plan and put some money in projects or forget it and walk away. The least we can do is come up with a concept people like and are willing to try. "I know people...
Published: Friday, November 29, 2002